Efo Riro is a well-known soup that is popular amongst the Yorubas but also has its own version in different Nigerian tribes. The Cross Riverians and Akwa Ibomites have a similar version called Edikaikong. Many other tribes like the Igbos just call it vegetable soup.
Because this is one soup that is known and loved my almost every Nigeria tribe, it is one of your best options to serve guests at parties, visitors and family and friends generally.
Look out for the video at the bottom of this post where Omotola put a smile on her sister’s face with a well-made plate of Efo Riro and Pounded yam. Lucky for you, it is also quite easy to prepare. With these few steps, you’d be able to proudly serve a world-class Efo Riro but let’s start with the ingredients you need.
Ingredients (Serving 5)
- Sliced Spinach leaves (7-10 cups)
- Pieces of stock fish ear
- Assorted meat (1KG)
- 1 cup of sliced tatashe
- Quarter cup of sliced pepper
- Half cup of sliced onions
- Half Cup of Ground Crayfish
- 2 spoons of locust beans (iru)
- Smoked fish (2 sizeable ones)
- Palm oil (200ml)
- 3 knorr cubes
(All available on Konga Daily)
These are pretty much all you need to make Efo Riro. Now let me take you through the preparation process
- Wash your meat thoroughly with salt and place in a pot. Add a little of water, salt, sliced onions, 2 knorr cube and allow to boil for 10-15 minutes, add 1-2 cups of water and cook till tender and water almost dries.
- Add the smoked fish, stock fish; then a cup of water and cook for another 10-15 minutes. Cook till stock fish is soft enough and the water is almost dried. Be careful not to allow it burn.
- Remove the pot from heat, place another pot on heat and pour in some palm oil, 200ml. Allow to heat before adding the sliced onions, pepper and tatashe; stir and allow to fry for about 10 minutes while stirring occasionally to avoid burning.
- Add the cooked meat, stock fish and smoked fish, stir and allow to simmer for 5 minutes, add the crayfish, iru, stir and allow another 3 minutes. Add a cube of seasoning, salt to taste, stir and add the spinach leaves. Stir all together and allow to simmer. Food is ready!
You can serve Efo Riro with any of your favourite swallow meals like eba, pounded yam, fufu, wheat meal and even rice.
Here is a video guide on how to make Efo Riro by our darling Sisi Yemmie
Thankfully, all you need to prepare this tasty Efo Riro is available on Konga Daily.
Enjoy this interesting video of how you could put a smile on the face of your loved one with Efo Riro.
Latest posts by Nneka Obiano (see all)
- 6 Healthy Lifestyle Pages You Should Follow on Instagram - July 3, 2017
- How to Make Efo Riro - June 9, 2017
- 7 Laundry Hacks to Make Your Life Easier - June 1, 2017