Lactic acid is derived from (sour) milk, and is known for it's skin softening abilities. It is part of the Alpha Hydroxy group, along with Glycolic Acid and citric acid.
Like it's fellow AHA's lactic acid works by breaking down the 'glue' between skin cells, causing them to slough off and reveal the newer, shinier, healthier skin underneath.
As you can imagine, this is perfect for:
- Reducing fine lines
- Improving skin tone and texture
- Fading pigmentation, acne scars and evening out the color of your skin
- Controlling and preventing oiliness and breakouts
- Lactic acid is effective in gently lightening skin - whether that's pigmentation patches, pimple/acne scars (not deep ones) or simply uneven skin tone
- It is good for dry skin as it has excellent softening abilities and is more gentle than glycolic acid
- Lactic acid is particularly beneficial for body skin, which is why you will find so many body lotions* with this ingredient.
- It can soften skin, control body acne, and even out pigmentation (for example, fade sunspots on your arms and legs).